Musings ...

from a Twisted mind.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Interview



Kino MacGregor Interview

Today, I have the honor to interview Kino MacGregor.  If you don’t know her, I’ll offer a brief background on this dynamic young woman.  Kino is an international yoga teacher, author, producer, writer, vlogger, world traveler, and co-founder of Miami Life Center.  She is one of a select group of people in the world to receive the certification to teach Ashtanga Yoga by its founder Sri K. Pattabhi Jois from Mysore, India.  Kino is deep devoted to carrying the torch of Ashtanga Yoga all over the world and sharing this amazing tradition with everyone who is inspired to practice. 

Janet: 
Good Morning, I'd like to discuss the elusive and mysterious mula bandha.  What is it?  Where is it? Is it for women and if so, how do we locate it?

Kino: 
This is a BIG question, so big so that I devoted nearly a whole section in my new book (to be released in 2013) on it. Mula Bandha is first and foremost an energetic experience that happens when the strength transcends the physical and moves into the spiritual level. On a muscular level it is located around the muscles of the pelvic floor.

Janet:
I have a personal question.  When I tighten the muscles around my sit bones [as I've been told to do by male ashtanga teachers], it is uncomfortable and makes my hamstrings tighter and I think resulted in an attachment tear and tighter hips.  Yet, my pelvic floor itself doesn't seem affected and for many years I have had uterine prolapse resulting in some incontinence if I run, jump rope, or sneeze aggressively.

Kino:
Focus on engaging but not over-engaging the space between the sitting bones and the space between the pubic bone and the tailbone. If you feel your butt clenching relax a little. If you feel your hamstring mobility restricted relax a little (unless you are using that activation to protect the hamstrings).

Janet:
Have you read the ancient texts; Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Gherenda Samhita, and Siva Samhita?  Some claim these books are the only references to mula bandha and that the practice is strictly for men and forbidden for women.

Kino:
I've read those texts and I did not find anything that says that the practice should not be for women.

Janet:
There is a lot of discussion these days about incontinence and the allopathic medical community seems to be suggesting some drastic and bizarre measures.  One national yoga instructor actually preaches against women practicing mula bandha, claiming it might worsen the epidemic.

Kino:
Actually my experience has been quite the reverse, that women who suffer from incontinence and other problems related to that find relief and sometimes even full cure from the practice of strong engagement of the pelvic floor.

Janet:
Are you familiar with pelvic floor rehabilitation administered by physical therapists?  

Kino:
Only for post-natal women.

Janet:
One last question, if someone working on the primary series has 30-45 minutes in their schedule for practice, what do you recommend they do?  

Kino:
It really depends on the student and how advanced they are. But generally I would recommend that they start with the Sun Salutations and move into the Standing Postures and then into Closing until that becomes stable and grounded. 

Janet:
Thank you for your taking time from your tremendously busy schedule to speak with me.  

Also published, August 2012
http://thewellwrittenwoman.com/2012/08/24/interview-kino-macgregor/

No comments:

Post a Comment