Musings ...

from a Twisted mind.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

CoMmUnItY!

Each day my belief in supporting the community where I live grows stronger. As fall is approaching in South Florida, albeit rather slowly, I am excited for the local farmers market to open. Within walking distance from my home, it's one of my favorite weekend activities. Roaming the aisles, talking with the farmers, searching for the best croissant while sipping hot tea are all fond memories from fall Saturday mornings. Carrying cloth bags bursting with brilliantly colored greens makes me smile. This year I'll have a new bicycle and envision my cute little basket full of local wildflowers, organic herbs, dinosaur kale and maybe a fresh baguette - shhh. My friend Pam would always say, “You have to meet people to meet people, so go out and talk.” Buying locally and organically grown produce not only feels a bit decadent, it also gives back to my local community and the food is much tastier and nutrient dense!

When I lived in Boulder, Colorado there was a community garden nearby. One could actually rent a small section on a plot of land to plant their own garden. How cool is that? Folks would grow different vegetables and swap with one another. Such participation boosts collectiveness, sparks new friendships and maybe introduces one to a new vegetable or fruit. For me, local gardens create a bond with the very Earth I walk upon.

Each year, from the time I can recall, my father has planted a garden. Last year he proudly handed me a full bag of; tomatoes, onions, banana peppers, cucumber, radishes and potatoes. What didn’t immediately make it in my special salsa, stayed fresh for a month!  Does your produce last that long? Oftentimes ingredients needed or wanted may not be available locally. This is a perfect opportunity to substitute, experiment and perhaps create a delightful new dish.  If I absolutely must have that certain something, I'll head to the nearest locally owned health food store.

Remember, it is straightforward and extremely rewarding to grow your own food; parsley, rosemary, basil, dill, or baby collards. Local farmers often have starter plants for sale. How fun to snip snip delicacies from your window sill or balcony and add to your salad!  

Learning to live from our land and learning to live in community with one another is the preservation of the future. So grab your shovel and follow my father's old pick up truck, you'll know which one when you see the sticker on the bumper "No Farms No Food".

No comments:

Post a Comment